Protecting Your Privacy
In various places on the Sites, we collect "Personally Identifiable Information," such as your name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, or other information that can be used to identify you or contact you.
- Yapik will not share any of your Personally Identifiable Information, except for the information you choose to publicly disclose in the listings you publish, with our advertisers or any third-parties for marketing purposes.
- Yapik offers email anonymization & relay to protect your identity and reduce spam.
- Account information is password protected. Keep your password safe.
- Yapik does not knowingly collect any Personally Identifiable Information from persons under the age of 13, and Yapik does not permit persons under the age of 13 to register on the Sites. If Yapik learns that a listing is by a person under the age of 13, Yapik will remove that listing.
Yapik, or people that place listings on Yapik, may provide links to third party web sites, which may have different privacy practices than Yapik. We are not responsible for, nor have any control over, the privacy policies on these third party web sites. We encourage all users to read the privacy policies of every web site you visit.
Registration is required to place a listing through our service or to use other types of functionality that require the service to recognize a user (e.g., Yapik Alerts). If you decide to register or sign up for certain services, you will need to give us certain Personally Identifiable Information, such as a valid .edu e-mail address and zip code. You will also have the option to provide other Personally Identifiable Information such as your address. This Personally Identifiable Information will be used to personalize and improve your experience of our service. This information will not be disclosed to any third-party without your explicit consent.
Registered users may choose to receive a copy of our newsletter or receive other mailings from us regarding our service or the Sites. You may opt-out of receiving future mailings as part of the registration process.
You can review and change your Personally Identifiable Information or password at any time on the my Profile Tab in the My Account section.
Cookies, Web Beacons and Scripts
A "web beacon" is an electronic file that signals when a web page, an advertisement, a video or other type of content has been viewed. A "script" is a short section of computer code included in a Web page or other content that can be used to set and access a cookie on your computer's hard drive and to record your activity on a web site. Web beacons and scripts can be used for a number of purposes, including counting and tracking visitors to the Sites, recognizing and accessing cookies, recording page view information, tracking and reporting audience information and conducting research to improve the Sites.
Data We Collect
In addition to Personally Identifiable Information you provide at registration or by using the service, we collect the following information:
- Listings content. When you place a listing or a review on the Sites, we collect a variety of information related to that listing (e.g., price, model). The public will see any information that you include in your listing, and as such, Yapik has no control over how this information will be used. For that reason, please think carefully about what Personally Identifiable Information you disclose in your listing. You can always edit or deactivate any of your listings.
- Discussions about listings. When you comment on a listing. You can always delete your comments.
- Correspondence. Correspondence between you and the other party initiated through our site, and correspondence to us.
- "Anonymous Information" such as your IP address, the type of browser you use, the pages on our Sites that you visit, the search terms that you enter and the advertisements that you click. This information is used to help us diagnose problems, administer the site and otherwise improve our service to you.
- Credit card information. Credit card information, including credit card numbers, is collected but not stored. We use trusted third party vendors to handle secure credit card transactions for us. Our vendors use Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology and are PCI compliant.
Data We Store
The following information is stored in our database, even after deletion, and may be archived:
- Registration information.
- All listings, review and comment content.
- Messages sent in regards to listings.
- Activity logs and other records.
Although we make good faith efforts to store information in a secure environment that is not made available to the public, we cannot guarantee complete security.
We may use the information you disclosed to us to:
- Provide our services to you.
- Provide customer service to you.
- Prevent potentially prohibited or illegal activities.
- Automatically scan messages to check for spam, fraud, phishing attacks and other malicious activity or illegal or prohibited content.
Yapik may disclose information about its users if required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such disclosure is reasonably necessary to:
- Respond to a legal process (e.g., subpoenas, court orders).
- Respond to claims that a listing or content violates the rights of third parties.
- Protect the rights, property or personal safety of Yapik, its users or the general public.
Yapik may also disclose information with:
- Our partner web sites if you create an account on one of those sites.
- Service providers under contract who help us with business operations such as fraud investigations.
The Sites are hosted in the United States. If you use the Sites from outside of the United States, you are voluntarily transferring information (potentially including personally-identifiable information) and content to the United States and agreeing that Yapik's collection, use, storage and sharing of your information and content is exclusively subject to the laws of the United States, not of the jurisdiction in which you are located.
Last update June 28, 2011
Yapik Incorporated is strongly committed to protecting the privacy of its users and those who trust the Company with their personal information. Because of this, Yapik has certified to the Safe Harbor agreement made by the European Commission and the United States' Department of Commerce in terms of personal information inputted by individual users.
Information about Safe Harbor can be found on site.
"Personal information" refers to any data received by Yapik in the United States from the EU that identifies and individual. Personal information applies generally to the input of email addresses, user names, passwords and individual's Internet Protocol (IP) addresses. Personal information does not refer to any anonymous information received by the Company.
"Sensitive personal information" refers to any data regarding race, gender, sexual orientation, political affiliation, personal health or any criminal activity, real or alleged.
"The Company" or "Yapik" refers to Yapik Incorporated, a Florida-based company in the United States.
The privacy principles in this section refer to the Safe Harbor Privacy Principles (the "Principles").
Yapik collects personal information from and about individuals in connection with the operation of its business and also for the enhancement of the individual when utilizing Yapik's services. This information is used by Yapik to personalize the individual's experience and allow the individual to customize his or her experience. Under no circumstances will Yapik be collecting sensitive personal information.
Yapik may disclose this personal information to third parties only if such disclosure is necessary and relevant to its clients or its business operations. The circumstances in which such disclosure may take place is discussed in the "Onward Transfer to Third Parties" section below.
By no means is personal information required for use of Yapik's services. Yapik gives its users complete control as to whether they wish to submit any personal information. Because the choice to share personal information rests in the users of the Company's services, any information received by Yapik from the EU is solely on an opt-in basis.
Yapik users are, however, encouraged by the Company to submit personal information as it allows for the personalizing of one's Yapik webpage and therefore for the expediting and simplifying of one's Yapik experience.
For those wishing to opt out of the transfer of personal information to a third party if and when the circumstances arise, please contact Yapik using the contact information below. Yapik will never, however, share personal information without proper notification and consent of its users.
Onward Transfer to Third Parties
Yapik will use personal information only for the reasons for which it was collected, and as inputted by the individual user. The Company takes reasonable steps to ensure the relevance and privacy of personal information.
Individual users have complete control over their personal information, and may opt to correct, amend or delete and personal information from Yapik's database.
The Company takes reasonable steps to protect personal information from loss, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction.
Enforcement and Dispute Resolution
Yapik will conduct regular self-assessments of its relevant privacy policies and of the Statement in order to ensure adherence to the Principles. Any employee that the company finds to be violating any of the above Principles will be subject to disciplinary action that can result in the termination of employment.
Any individual who has concerns, questions or disputes with the Company's compliance to the Principles may contact Yapik at the address given below.
Modifications and Amendments
Yapik may and reserves the right to amend this Statement periodically. Once and if the Statement is amended, it will be accessible through Yapik.com and will apply to all personal information previously collected by the Company. All amendments to this Statement will be in compliance with the Principles.
Limitations of the Principles
Yapik's adherence to the Principles may be limited to the extent that ethical of legal objections apply to the Statement.
1450 South Miami Avenue
Miami, FL 33130